Monday, October 25, 2010

Quiet week in the office

Well it has been a quiet week indeed, or at least, a quiet Monday and a quiet last week. I guess that would make it a quiet week and a day. So, let me start over...

Well, it has been a quiet week and a day indeed. With most of the office out at our fall camps I have been here in the office catching up on work and preparing for the board meeting that our executive director will have next week when they all get back from camp. The first week of camp went great. They had about 120 students at Camp Tejas in Giddings, Texas. We didn't hear a lot of specifics but I was able to talk to several of the staff members who were at that camp and they said that they had great groups with students who were excited about what Worldview was teaching at camp. That is especially exciting because there have been times in the past where students who have been to Worldview several times begin to feel that they have the material mastered and then their mindset goes from being a sponge and trying to soak up as much as possible and changes to being a distraction which then of course distracts. Apparently they had a great group of students as a whole which was very exciting.

The staff then made the trek from Giddings, Texas to Glorieta, NM which is about a 16 hour drive. They stopped in Midland on Friday night and we were able to serve them a large breakfast Saturday morning and serve them as much as possible while they were here (briefly) before taking off to get to the conference center in Glorieta. This week they have about 50 students which is a good number because this is our first fall camp in New Mexico so I will be anxious to hear how the week goes and how well the students respond. We used to have a camp in New Mexico during the summer but decided to move it to the fall instead.

So, that leaves me in the office with our two registrars. You may ask why I didn't go to camp with them and the answer is because Angela is about to give birth.... any moment now... wait... no, not yet. No, realistically we are 1-2 weeks out but it was obviously too close to be on the road at camp. It has been good though to be here in the office and feel like I am finally caught up from the summer. It is now time to prepare for the next couple of months. With our daughter Madison to be born really anytime but most likely in a week or two, I am trying to get done as much as possible so that I will be able to be home for a couple of weeks once Madison is born. As Angela tells me, I won't be able to stay away from the office that long, I will come in but it would be nice to not feel like I "have to" come in to not feel overwhelmed. So, I have been trying to get ahead and it is amazing what you can get done when there are not a whole lot of people around. It is weird though to not be at camp. Josh Fairbaugh who works in our office and is directing the camp now in New Mexico probably got tired of me texting him last week when he was directing at Camp Tejas, asking what he and the staff were up to. Really, I knew probably what they were doing but it was good to know for sure...

Please continue to pray for Angela and for Madison. We are certainly at the point where we wish Madison were here and we could meet her and Angela could get her lap back but we pray more than that, that she is healthy. Thanks for your prayers and your support.

Mike Tiland

No comments: